Thursday, September 26, 2013

Homemade Sausage Balls

Hey guys, I'm out on vacation for a few days and haven't had much time for blogging. Luckily for  you, my friend Caro has volunteered to share a recipe from her southern roots with y'all (I'm pretty sure I can't pull that off...) But anyway, these sound delicious. Enjoy!

***

Hi there! My name's Caro and I'm a wearer of many hats who blogs at In The Meantime. I've been living in Chicago for almost five years now, but I'm still constantly discovering regional differences between the south and the Midwest. This is especially true in regards to food so I thought I'd share the recipe for one of my all time favorites: sausage balls.


A few years ago, a friend and I threw a "Girlsgiving," which was essentially just a sleepover that spanned the entire holiday weekend. There was eating, drinking, and Star Wars. It was awesome. It was also the first time I realized that sausage balls were not a nation-wide thing. When I offered to bring some, no one had any idea what I was talking about. Then I couldn't find the frozen variety ANYWHERE. (The stock boy at Jewel-Osco looked at me like I was crazy/possibly a pervert but I guess that's the risk you take when you ask someone, "Where can I find sausage balls?")

 To combat this travesty and satisfy my own constant cravings, I've mastered the homemade variety. (Which really speaks to the skill level of this recipe, because I once lost my eyebrows trying to cook a frozen pizza.) If any of you are looking for a super easy crowd-pleaser to add to the rotation, look no further. I've never met a meat eater who didn't like them.

This recipe is stolen from my grandmother and it makes a big batch but there are variations all over the web.

Homemade Sausage Balls
  • Ground sausage, 1lb 
  • Baking mix, 2.25 cups 
  • Shredded cheddar, 2 cups 
  • Pepper, 1 teaspoon 


Put everything into a big bowl and knead it with your hands. It'll mix more evenly if you let the sausage completely de-thaw before starting. Roll the mixture into small balls and place them "1 apart on a greased cooking sheet or baking stone.

Cook at 350° for 18-20 minutes. If you want them to be actual balls and not flat on one side, turn them halfway through.




That's it! Depending on how big you make them, you'll end up with around 50 sausage balls to enjoy as a finger food or entree. If you're a fan of dipping sauces, I'd like to suggest plain old syrup or one of the following:
  • The Paula Deen: 1 cup mayo, 1 tablespoon mustard 
  • The Sweet One: 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup yellow mustard, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 2tsp honey, 2tsp lemon juice 
  • The Spiced One: 1/3 cup mayo, 1 tbsp hot sauce, a pinch of garlic powder, and a pinch of paprika. 

If you try them, let me know what you think! Is anyone else already a fan of these? I refuse to believe my pocket of Tennessee was the only place these suckers were practically mandatory at elementary school holiday parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...