Sunday, April 7, 2013

DIY Pom Pom Wall Art


My name is Annie and I'm a yarn hoarder. I literally have so much of it that I will never be able to knit with all of it, since I have carpal tunnel now and have to take a lot of knitting breaks. So I decided to explore other ways to use my gigantic stash of yarn. Enter this pom pom wall art.

What you need:
  • 2 skeins of yarn in different colors
  • scissors
  • a knitting needle



To start this project, you're going to need to make a lot of pom-poms. a lot. I'm not good at explaining this process, so you can watch this video to learn how to make them. Got it? Good.

The cool thing about this project is that you can completely customize it. I made a heart with my pom poms, but you could make a star or an abstract design or something way more complicated if you're feeling up to the challenge. But for the sake of simplicity, we're going the heart route here. When all is said and done, you'll need 12 pink (or whatever color you choose for the heart) pom poms and 27 gray (or whatever color you choose for the outside) pom poms. The rows should go like this: (g=gray, p=pink, obviously)

row 1: gggggg
row 2: gpgpg
row 3: gppppg
row 4: gpppg
row 5: ggppgg
row 6: ggpgg
row 7: gggggg



Once you have them all lined up, you need to tie all the pom poms together. I tied each row together first, then tied the rows together. You'll notice that the rows rotate between having 5 and 6 pom poms each, so the knots should kind of make a diagonal or diamond pattern when you tie all the pom poms together. The top row should then be tied to the knitting needle as shown. Cut off all the excess yarn. Then take another string of yarn and tie it to each side of the knitting needle so there is something to hang the piece from. Boom, done.



1 comment :

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...