Monday, January 14, 2013

On Sharing

This weekend was a pretty good one. My friends and I had a "spa night" with face masks, cucumbers over our eyes, and lots of talk about reality shows that I won't name here.  Then we went out to brunch the next morning and our very first aerial yoga class, which was surprisingly fun and slightly easier than I expected.

photos by katelyn

But throughout the weekend, I made a conscious effort to leave my camera at home and not tweet/instagram everything I did or thought (Golden Globes commentary not withstanding) and just simply enjoy life without telling a bunch of people who probably don't even really care about it.

I think that most ~bloggers (/anyone on the internet) has struggled at some point with how much of their lives to share publicly.

Part of the reason I love blogging and social media is that it gives me a super easy way of documenting things that happen through the course of life, so that I always have a way of looking back and reminiscing later. But always sharing the details of life and documenting everything can get a little tiring and quite frankly, kind of annoying.

Sometimes documentation makes certain events even more fun, and I'm not going to pretend like I don't love instagramming stuff, but I think there has to be some kind of balance. I don't want to spend my entire life behind a camera just so I have something to blog about.

Now let's be honest, there's nothing that juicy happening in my life. So this post isn't about my internal battle about sharing some deep struggle I'm dealing with. But I know some that have dealt with this type of situation. I'm mainly just talking about the day-to-day stuff: what should I share about my life? What would I rather keep to myself? And who cares about it anyway?

So I guess I'll just blog whatever I feel like blogging, tweet what I feel like tweeting, take pictures when I feel like taking pictures, and not stress about it the rest of the time. I'm sure there has to be some better method than that, but that's the best I can come up with.

How do you deal with balancing sharing vs. over-sharing?

7 comments :

  1. First, I took an aerial dance class. Totally loved it! Great work out and so much fun.

    now, the over sharing part... when I first started my blog, I made a promise to not tell stories that were not mine to tell, like details of my children's lives. I don't know what might come back to embarrass them one day. For that reason, I am aware of how my own stories might affect them. They don't read my blog, but if they do someday, I don't want them to mortified. They have worked hard to live a life that I can be proud of. I owe them the same respect. So, I will never get a book deal from my blog, but I am OK with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense. I don't have kids so I don't deal with that issue specifically, but not telling anyone else's stories is probably a good rule for all of us.

      Delete
  2. I over share from my religious believes, to my political views, I get into arguments, I lose friends, I stress out, I laugh and I have to deal with the consequences of over sharing, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you blog btw, very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know what you mean, I get intimidated by sharing stuff like that (plus I just hate talking politics with people anyway) but everyone is entitled to their opinions. Some people are just sensitive about it and some people can be really mean about that stuff.

      Delete
  4. I still don't think I've found the balance. Sometimes I feel like a sharing hermit so not to unearth the vent-y days of Livejournal, but then I feel as if I'm not being honest and realistic. Alas, the struggles of a blogger.

    Sidenote: aerial yoga looks AWESOME! I need to find somewhere around here that has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel! I want to be ~myself without being super weird and embarrassing. I guess it's just one of those things you never really figure out.

      But yes, you should definitely try aerial! I was really intimidated at first but it was so. much. fun.

      Delete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...