Monday, October 15, 2012

DIY Unicorn Costume


I actually had kind of a hard time deciding on a Halloween costume this year. This isn't a problem I normally have - it's much more common that I have way too many ideas so I need to find more parties to go to so that I can wear all of my cool costumes. But this year, instead of doing something crazy or timely, I decided to go with a timeless and wonderful creature that I've talked about making into a costume for years. Obviously I'm talking about a unicorn.

This was a really easy costume to make. There are basically two elements - a headband and a tail. For the headband, you'll need some white and yellow foam boards, pink sticky back felt, mod podge, glitter, hot glue, and yes - a headband (preferably white).




Cut the white foam board into triangles that are just over 2 inches tall. The pink felt should be cut into triangles that are about half the size. Stick the pink felt onto the white foam leaving space at both the top and the bottom. Glue the bottoms of the ears to the back of the headband, leaving at least an inch in between the two as shown. There will be a little bit hanging out from the bottom of the headband. Once the glue is dry, cut the excess off.
 
 

The yellow foam should be cut into a rectangle that's at least 4x6 inches. Roll the rectangle into a cone and secure it with the hot glue. Then you'll need to cut part of the bottom so that it can stand on a flat surface but point forward (as shown). Before actually attaching it to the headband though, you'll need to cover it with mod podge and sprinkle glitter all over it (what is a unicorn without glitter, after all?)

Once the glitter has stopped falling everywhere (seriously, my apartment is covered) glue the horn to the top of the headband so that it is pointing toward the front. Done!



The tail is even easier. All you'll need is some white yarn (preferably one with glitter) and a large safety pin. Cut the yarn into strands that are between 3 and 4 feet long. I cut about 20 strands. Then fold them in half and thread them through a large safety pin. Take another piece of yarn and tie it around the yarn at the base of the pin. Done!

 

Then all you need is a white dress or outfit (my dress is from Ross and flats are from Payless). I'm contemplating going out and looking for something with a little more pizazz (a.k.a. sparkly) but I'm still on a shopping hiatus so I may have to stick with this outfit.

I'm really excited for Halloween now that I've finally finished this. But I do hope that I can get back to the multi-costume tradition for next year. What are your Halloween plans? And more importantly, what are you going as??

2 comments :

  1. This is too cute! Love how simple it. I'm going with a friend as Daria & Jane from Daria :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I was Daria for a 90's party this summer. It probably would have been better to save it for Halloween because it was wayyyy too hot at that party for me to keep the blazer on - no one knew who I was supposed to be haha. I'd love to see pics of your costumes after Halloween! So fun.

      Delete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...