Thursday, May 24, 2012

Make Your Own TARDIS

When I was little, I used to love getting boxes from big appliances so that I could make them into forts or houses or whatever. Now that I'm older, I still think that's pretty awesome. I know I'm expected to do more adult things with my time, but that's dumb - I want to hang out in big appliance boxes.


So when a member of my Relay for Life team said she found a refrigerator box and wanted to know if anyone would make something with it to decorate our spot for the relay, I jumped at the opportunity. I decided to make a TARDIS because our event was travel themed and what could possibly be cooler than time travel?!


So I took the box to my parents' garage and spray painted all of the sides blue. It took two cans of paint just to cover each side once and put a second coat on the front side. I used black construction paper for the top of the box, and cut the letters out of paper as well. I just printed out "POLICE PUBLIC CALL BOX" and cut out the letters to make stencils. I cut out little white squares for the windows, and found a photo of the sign on the door to print out. I used a craft knife to cut out the doors, leaving some space on the top and the bottom to keep it stable. The kids at the relay had a lot of fun jumping out of the TARDIS and trying to scare people walking by.


Unfortunately, the TARDIS does not fit through the door of my apartment, so I had to get rid of it, but I am on the hunt for other, slightly smaller appliance boxes to make cool stuff with. Are any Dr. Who fans with larger front doors interested in hanging out in an awesome cardboard TARDIS? Please tell me I'm not the only one who's this nerdy...

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

13 comments :

  1. Ahhhhhh!!!! I would die if I saw this on a street corner!!
    I just have one question though, is it bigger on the inside?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow... i didn't even know that it has a name for it. this is so cute !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, Annie! I've long been meaning to decorate our front door like a TARDIS, so no, you're not the only nerdy one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you definitely should. I would LOVE to see that!

      Delete
  4. aaaah this is so cute!

    from, helen at www.thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved making things out of boxes as a kid! And this is absolutely fantastic!! I may have to nab some boxes from work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I wish I had access to big boxes all the time!

      Delete
  6. That's nothing! Check out Caine's Arcade http://cainesarcade.com/

    Coolest kid ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom/sister-in-law both love Dr. Who! So, of course, I shared the link with my sis-in-law. ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks - I went looking on google to build a tardis for our sons 6th birthday. Yours was just what I needed - no need to be a master builder and I can even download and print out the signs for the outside. thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...