Friday, April 27, 2012

Decorating with Beer Bottles

Last weekend, I had a few friends over to see my new apartment, drink beer, and watch movies. The next morning I was about to throw all the beer bottles into my recycling bag and then I thought better of it. Bloggers are always making cool stuff with wine bottles, but why not beer? The beer bottles fit better on the window ledge above my sink, so I decided to go all crafty on them. Here are the ones I've made so far.


Yarn-Wrapped Beer Bottle



What you need: 4 strands of yarn in different colors, hot glue, scissors

Instructions: Wrap one strand of yarn around the bottle, working your way down and leaving enough space for the other colors in-between. Glue as you go. Repeat for the rest of the colors.



Knit Beer Bottle



What you need: 1 ball of yarn and about a foot of yarn in another color, scissors

Instructions: Knit a beer bottle cozy. I'm not good with patterns, but I'm sure with some clever googling you can find one that fits your needs. Use the second color of yarn to tie around the bottle and make a bow.



Ribbon-Wrapped Beer Bottle



What you need: a bunch of different ribbons, hot glue, scissors

Instructions: Measure and cut strands of ribbon so that they wrap around the beer bottle once. Glue strands into place.



Fabric and Mod Podge Beer Bottle



What you need: Fabric, Mod Podge, scissors

Instructions: Cut a circle or oval shape out of the fabric, large enough so that it can wrap around the bottle. Cover one side of the bottle in Mod Podge and begin wrapping the fabric around it. Continue until bottle is covered in fabric, but you'll have to make some cuts and folds in the fabric so that it sits as flat as possible over the bottle. Add a coat of Mod Podge over the fabric and let it dry.



Please excuse my less-than-stellar instructions, but these were really spur of the moment and I used a lot of trial and error. If anything, I hope this just gave you some ideas for things you can make in your own home! My windowsill looks much more crafty and festive now... And I'm planning on making enough to cover the whole ledge, so if you have any ideas please share in the comments!



Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

2 comments :

  1. ahhh... these are so adorable. though, i really just like the beer bottles themselves. i don't actually know what to do with them. anyway, i love this little tutorial :]

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...