Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Craft Night

My friends and I just had our monthly craft night/book club meeting this weekend. We made some really cute mobiles that were fairly easy and really customizable. We used round, plastic purse handles for the tops, and fishing line to hang them. Then we had ribbons, lace, origami paper, yarn, feathers, beads, and much more to decorate with.


I made a simple mobile with different colored ribbon. I cut the ribbon into varying lengths and used my glue gun to secure them around the purse handle.


Then I used some pretty lace ribbon to go around the rim and cover any imperfections. It was pretty simple! The only thing that took any sort of time was securing the fishing line to the top so that the mobile hangs level. I wish I could give you some tips on this, but honestly it was just a lot of trial and error on my part. I'd recommend measuring first instead of thinking you can just "wing it" like I did.


But I eventually got it to work, and now it's adding some color to my still unfinished living room!


As always, we worked on our crafts while drinking wine and eating lots of snacks. Also, everyone makes goofy faces in their pictures. Whitney was pretending to be mad at me and Katelyn was really really happy that she finally figured out how to make something with her Origami paper.



I also made another craft using the purse handles while I was there. I'm going to share the actual tutorial in another blog post this week, but here's a little preview.


Finally, for our book club we discussed The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I know from Instagram and Twitter that many of you have read it, so I'd love to hear what you thought!


Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

12 comments :

  1. I was so excited about this project for craft night! I wish I was feeling more inspired instead of fixated on my horrible origami skills and being disappointed I couldn't hang paper cranes from my mobile! Everyone's turned out awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha we will figure out the paper cranes one day!

      Delete
  2. oh gosh, this is so adorable and fun looking. i think hanging out with friends and doing crafty stuff is fun! i like sewing with a friend of mine. does that count? hah... you should have a sewing night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be fun! We rotate who hosts it each month, so maybe one month the host will pick a sewing project!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea other people have been reading the Night Circus- it was fantastic! Like, to die for good. So mysterious and captivating- total page turner. And you'd so lucky to have a group of sweet gals to craft with! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I've talked to seemed to love it too! I think it's so amazing, especially all the descriptions - just seems so magical and amazing.

      Delete
  4. how fun. i want to have a craft night with my girls. sunday fundays used to turn into crafts, but as of lately.. i've been crafting alone (pregnant crafting! ... still FUN). the night circus is SUCH A GREAT BOOK!! I wish i would of had people to discuss it with when i was reading it. very entertaining. kept my glued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like the book. I'm actually working on starting an online book club hosted on another site, and I think we're going to use The Night Circus as our first book for discussion. I'll definitely post about it here when we work out the details!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a really fun time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute! I should tell my roommate that we need to start monthly book club/craft night meetings!

    I'm a new follower... already forgot how I got to your blog, though!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should start one! Thanks for following!

      Delete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...