Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Doily Collar


I've seen a lot of detachable collars lately, and I love the idea! I found this doily in my craft room that I thought would be perfect, so I played around with it and I think I made something pretty simple and wearable.


What you need:

  • a doily
  • about 2 feet of yarn
  • embroidery thread and needle
  • scissors




The concept is pretty simple: cut the doily exactly in half. Use the yarn as the base for your collar, so you can measure where you want each half to start and end. Then fold over just the top parts of each doily half (the folded over part should be less than 1cm) and begin stitching it to itself and the yarn with the embroidery thread. You can use some clear nail polish or something if you think the ends will fall apart - I didn't have that problem but it's definitely a possibility depending on your doily.


I made mine intending to wear it with the tie part in the front, but I found that depending on the shirt, I can also wear it backwards. I just pinned the front part of this to the inside of my top and it stayed put really well.






Outfit Details:
Top and cardigan: F21 (a really long time ago)
Skirt: H&M
Tights: Target
Shoes: Payless
Bracelet: c/o Shabby Apple
Collar: DIY

**I'm linking up with The Pleated Poppy for WIWW


P.S. Don't forget to enter this awesome giveaway for a $20 shop credit to Reware Vintage so you can buy some neat clothes or fun decor!

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

9 comments :

  1. I never would have thought to do this, what a fantastic idea! I'm so glad you shared.

    Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant and so cute!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crafty lady...very cute idea! It looks perfect on that shirt. If only I ever felt like sewing or stitching anything..ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, wow! I just love it! I have to keep my eye out for a doily like that :) and I love the green shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! You transformed your gray sweater into something gorgeous. I could totally see this on the rack at Anthopologie!

    XO - Marion
    PS - You blog is adorable! Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. you clever girl, you. this is so simple, and looks so great when it's all said and done! i like it. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea!! Love that it's actually lace and not just solid fabric with scalloped edges.

    xo Amber P.
    http://theowlsden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I love that it's detachable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet. Such a lovely transformation.

    I might try that on weekend.

    Irene Divorce in Austin TX

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...