Sunday, March 25, 2012

Becoming Effie Trinket

It's no secret that I love making costumes. When I first read the Hunger Games and heard it was going to be a movie, I knew that I had to make an Effie Trinket costume for the midnight showing. Her style is so weird and unique. The costume lent itself to lots of handmade details that I had so much fun with. Here are a couple quick DIY projects that led to the finished costume:

Effie's Large Flower Headband




For this project, all I needed was some purple felt, a small fake flower, and a string of pink yarn. I cut out some felt petals (the largest took up just over a half sheet of felt, and then got smaller from there). I cut small slits on the inside of the petals and hot glued them around in a circle, with the smaller petals going over the larger ones as shown. Then I finished it off by gluing a small fake flower to the middle, and then cut small holes in the back to loop through one strand of pink yarn. I tied it around my pink wig and was all set!


Effie's Flower Collar



For this one, I used a half a sheet of black felt , velcro, and fake pink and purple flowers. I glued the fake flowers to one half of the felt, using mostly purple ones and just a few pink ones. Then I attached the velcro strips to the back of the collar. Voila!


For the rest of the costume, I bought a Marie Antoinette wig online, wore a purple collared shirt and pencil skirt, and I cut the sleeves off a long-sleeved purple shirt and stuffed it with other shirts to make the large shoulders. I covered my face in light powder and concealer and used pink eyeliner. I found a clear fishbowl at a thrift store and wrote "Primrose Everdeen" and "Peeta Mellark" on all the slips of paper inside.



It was such a fun costume! There were a bunch of other awesome costumes that my friends made so I'll share a few of them later today. Happy Hunger Games!

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

12 comments :

  1. Love this! You did wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha so funny! I saw the movie today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your headpiece is perfect! love the whole costume, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial! My 7yr old is going to be Effie for Halloween. We are doing makeup and the whole 9 yards. I love the way you did the flower. Just made hers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool! I hope the costume turns out great!

      Delete
  5. Could you please give me the link to the website where you bought the wig? It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe I bought it from the Amazon marketplace.

      Delete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...