Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nerdy Heart Necklace


Happy February, everyone! I thought I'd kick off the month with a quick little valentine's day-inspired DIY. It's quick, easy, and best of all - just a little bit nerdy. Here's how to make your very own "<3" necklace.


What you'll need:

  • STURDY scrapbooking letters and numbers. Particularly just the "V" and the "3." You don't need the whole set. But don't get plain paper ones - something with clear plastic backing is best.
  • Necklace chain and hoops
  • Scissors
  • Glossy Mod Podge and a paintbrush
  • Safety pin

Start out by cutting the V and 3 out of the plastic, but leave the backing on and leave the plastic on the "inside parts" of the V and 3 as shown.


Use a safety pin or anything with a small point to poke small holes in the plastic towards the top where you'll hang the letters from the necklace. Keep in mind that the top of the V will really be the side since it will be acting as a < in this case. Insert the jewelry hoops the use a small paintbrush to mod podge around the letter just to make it a little sturdier. Make sure to get the sides where the sticker part would normally peel off. Let it dry.



Attach the hoops to the necklace chain just a few pieces apart and voila! You have a fun new necklace that's pretty festive this time of year!




Outfit Details:
Cardigan, shirt, and boots: thrifted
Skirt and belt: H&M
Necklace: handmade!

P.S. I'm linking up with The Pleated Poppy for WIWW!


Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

11 comments :

  1. Ummm....I love this. The garnet color of that skirt is AMAZING! I love love love the fun and spunky striped tee with it. If I had more than two thumbs (which I don't thank goodness because that would be awkward) I would give 3 thumbs up to this! That sounded way more strange that I had anticipated :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I love that idea for a necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's the cutest necklace ever! I love how simple it is...but I never would have thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That necklace is such a cute idea! Also I'm in love with your outfit! lOVE the striped top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this look and your necklace is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! I caught sight of the inside trimming/lining of the cardigan! FUN! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is the BEST freakn' heart necklace DIY eva! :D

    xoxo
    Des.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the <3 symbol as a necklace! So cute!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea. I love it!

    New follower from The Pleated Poppy
    www.simply-lovely-things.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty!! Love this idea! And that skirt is amazzzzing!

    ox from NYC!
    -davie+erica

    http://www.lpfashionphilosophy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...