Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY Minnie Mouse Headband


I'm so excited to leave on vacation next week, because I'm going to the happiest place on earth! Yep, I'm going to Disney World! I don't care how old I get - I'll never outgrow the magic of Disney World.

When I was little, I went every few years, and of course my very favorite accessory was my Minnie Mouse headband. I've since outgrown the one I had, and while I definitely plan to buy another one while I'm down there, I just couldn't wait. So I made this little temporary replacement with some scraps and an old headband. The official one is clearly the way to go, but I thought I'd share this project in case anyone isn't able to get to Disney World for awhile and wants a fun, easy project.


All you need is some black and red felt, black and red embroidery thread, cotton stuffing, and a headband.


I started out by folding the black felt and cutting a circle about 3in in diameter. Don't make a complete circle, but leave about an inch of the folded part in tact so that you have two almost-circles (It should look kind of like an 8). Cut another piece of felt in the exact same shape and size.


Then take the red felt and fold it in half, cutting a bow shape but leaving the folded edge in tact as shown. Once you have all your shapes cut out, fold the black pieces of felt around the headband and start stitching the edges together. Stitch the red felt edges together in the same way, but not attached to the headband.




Insert the stuffing once there's just about an inch left to stitch. Then finish the stitching around the headband. I attached the ears first, then the bow over the top of them. If you need to add just a spot of glue to hold the bow and ears in place, go for it.


Use a 1in x 3in rectangle of red felt to wrap around the middle of the bow and the headband, and stitch it in place in the back. Then I used some acrylic white paint to make some dots all over the bow. Let it dry, finish all your edges and cut away any loose thread and voila! A quick and easy pair of Minnie ears to tide you over until your next Disney trip! I'm so excited for mine now!




P.S. I have some great guest posters lined up for while I'm gone, but if anyone else is interested, just send topic ideas to wattlebirddesigns at gmail dot com. Please keep in mind that I'd need your post by this Friday at the latest. Thanks!

**Linking this post to Along for the Ride and Tater Tots and Jello

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

4 comments :

  1. super cute! and will be perfect for your vacay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Yours is even cuter than the ones they sell, such a great idea! I also just found out I'm going to Disney World soon, so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this one is my favorite yet, Annie :) (And it's extra convenient because I'm wearing a black dress with white polka dots today. I need these.) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. sooo cute & so easy! definitely going to try this... & then close my eyes & pretend that i'm in disney world.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...