Tuesday, January 3, 2012

DIY Dreamcatcher Necklace


When I was little, I had a dreamcatcher that always hung right over my bed. I think I bought it at a street fair or something, and I didn't know much about the significance of it, but it was always comforting knowing it was there. I thought it might be fun to make a little mini version that you could carry around with you whenever you wanted. A necklace seemed like the perfect solution. Here's how I made it:


What you need:
a plastic hoop (found at most craft or thrift stores)
yarn
embroidery thread and needle
feathers (preferably attached onto a hairpiece or something similar, with a little fabric connector)


Start by wrapping yarn around the hoop until it's completely covered. Tie it into place or use a small dot of glue to keep it secured at the ends. Then take your needle and embroidery thread and begin stitching into the yarn, going across the hoop to different points randomly. Finish with a stitch at the bottom of the hoop so you can also use the embroidery thread to attach the feathers.


Cut off a few of the feathers from the rest, leaving the fabric at the top so that you can use the embroidery thread to stitch the feathers onto the hoop. I just made a few small stitches and tied a knot to secure the two pieces. Then I used the remaining embroidery thread as the necklace itself. You could tie it onto fasteners or just make the necklace long enough so you can just tie it then slip it over your head whenever you want to wear it.


That's all there is to it!



Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

7 comments :

  1. Yes please!!!
    This is SUCH a cute idea!!
    It is now on my to-craft list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW this is amazing! You are very creative.

    antoinettemusik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I need to attempt making one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwhh this is so cute! what a sweet idea :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome!! i love it!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay in love with this DIY right now, I love anything with dream catchers!

    xo Shane
    shaneprather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay in love with this DIY right now, I love anything with dream catchers!

    xo Shane
    shaneprather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...