Monday, October 24, 2011

Costume Party: Marge Simpson



Happy Halloween week! I'm kicking off my blog costume party with a costume I made for myself last year: Marge from The Simpsons. I got the idea from a pair of red shoes and green dress that I already owned. I knew there had to be some way for me to fashion a wig out of blue yarn, so I played around with it for a few days and this is what I came up with:


To make: Knit a regular old blue beanie to fit your head. Then, begin knitting another of the same size. But when it would normally be time to start gathering stitches to bring the hat to a close, keep going instead. Do this until you've knit about 12-14 inches, then finish the hat. Stuff the inside of the larger hat with batting or cotton stuffing, and crochet it onto the normal sized hat, leaving more of the normal sized hat out in the back, so the wig can be worn without tipping off the back of your head. This wig is a little tempermental, so I recommend using a couple of bobby pins just to make sure it doesn't fall off when it's windy.


From there, I made a beaded necklace, and paired it with a few accessories already in my closet. It was one of the simplest costumes ever, and everyone got it right away!


Details: 
Wig and necklace: handmade
Dress: Victoria's Secret
Earrings: Modcloth
Shoes: Vintage

***

Do you have a costume you'd like to share? Email wattlebirddesigns at gmail dot com to join the costume party!

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

14 comments :

  1. O.M.G! this is fabulous.. ha! i totally love working costumes out of my closet with a few added touches to make it fabulous. Amazing wig.. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous!!! great idea t reuse your own wardrobe. Where's Homer??

    ReplyDelete
  3. So neat! I saw a marge costume in store but I love this one so much better!!

    xo Amber P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is amazing! Love it! You look awesome, Marge!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy smokes! I love these posts;)
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha! I almost did something like this. (the costume series I mean) Love this one. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha! I almost did something like this. (the costume series I mean) Love this one. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap, you look AMAZING! I love this!!! Especially the wig - excellent work, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GIrl! This is amazing! You did such a great job! Can't wait to see more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW that's so cool! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this one!! I love the creative way you did the hair

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...