Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DIY Chevron Headband

Apparently I'm feeling nostalgic for 5th grade summer camp, because I've been really into making friendship bracelets lately. This project is along the same lines, so if you were an embroidery floss addict like me, this should be pretty easy for you.

chevron headband

Start with a few different colors of yarn. I chose four fall-ish colors for mine. You could use anywhere from 3 to 6 depending on how wide you want your headband to be.

yarn

Cut the yarn into about 4-foot strands. Then make a loop in the middle of the strands, tying off about 6 inches of yarn into the loop. You'll later braid this section so it can tie easily in the back, so you can make it longer or shorter depending on your preference. Mine pictured is not quite long enough - you can learn from my mistake.



If you're rusty on how to make a friendship bracelet, here's the basic gist. Lay your yarn out in the order you want the colors to show up. Since you made the loop in the middle, you should have two of strands of each color to work with. When you lay out the colors, you'll want the color on the far left to match up with the color on the far right, and the two colors in the middle to match up, and so on. It also helps to tie the loop end down to something so it stays in place. You can use a safety pin or a piece of tape or basically anything to hold it in place.





Once you're set up, you can start tying knots going from the outside in, making a sort of "4" shape with the yarn.  Using the photo above as a guide, you tie the brown yarn around the red, and hold the red strand straight as you make your knot with the brown. Once your knot is made, continue with the next strand toward the middle. Once you've made knots on all the strands on that side, do the same thing with the brown yarn on the other side. Then tie the two brown strands together in the middle. Then do the same thing with the red yarn (or whatever color is now on the outside).



Continue this pattern until it is long enough to go almost all the way around your head. Then make a knot and braid the ends so they can be tied together easily.

chevron headbandchevron headband

That's all there is to it! Enjoy your cute new headband!

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

10 comments :

  1. Awesome and it looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww *friendship band nostalgia* i'm so gonna do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable is this!! I loved making friendship bracelets as a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny, I just dedicated a few hours of my sick-leave from work to learning how to do chevron-pattern friendship bracelets. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so cute, I might need to try this for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need this right away!!! I'd love to have you link up with me for "Flirting With Temptation Thursday," come check it out!

    I'm also having a great giveaway where you can win a $50 gift card to Victoria's Secret that ends Friday! Have a fabulous night doll!

    www.blondeepisodes.com

    Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. love chevron and so loving this headband!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Target's got nothing on you girl! This is pretty nifty in my book...now if I could just be coordinated enough to do this on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That headband came out looking good, girl! well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man you are taking me back with this DIY, I used to make friendship bracelets all of the time, I am feeling so inspired I might go back to making them again instead of buying the super expensive ones that are out there

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...