Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Harry Potter Party Decorations

Over the years, my friends and I have hosted a lot of theme parties. We love making cheesy decorations and stuff. But this year for our Harry Potter party, I think we really outdid ourselves. Here's a sneak peak, even though the photos don't really do it justice.

fat lady signhandmade dark mark

The front door had a picture of the Fat Lady, who is the keeper of the Gryffindor common room. Then when you stepped inside, you were greeted by and handmade dark mark hanging from the ceiling of the stairway.

Diagon Alley Sign

The staircase was designated as "Diagon Alley," because it led you into the whole rest of the party.

harry potter party

quidditch games

The sweets table had a "Honeydukes" sign above it, and we put a bunch of random Harry Potter toys on the pool table for decoration.

harry potter party

Gryffindor colors adorned the ceiling, and I made paper frames to cover the walls, just like at Hogwarts. Then we printed pictures of people to fill the frames. Some were obvious, like Dumbledore, and some were a little more random, like Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Mr. Feeny.

Ollivanders Sign

We had signs for different parts of the wizarding world, such as Ollivander's wand shop, a seat for the sorting hat, and even a cardboard fireplace with green flames to simulate the floo network.

harry potter poster

invisibility cloak

In the "common room" where we all sat, we hung a large laminated poster of the Sorcerer's Stone Soundtrack and a sheet that said "I'm Invisible" (aka the invisibility cloak) that we made YEARS ago!

three broomsticks12 grimmauld place decoration

We made the refrigerator into the Three Broomsticks (bar) and the doorway into the other room was 12 Grimmauld Place.


cardboard castle

We've had this cardboard castle FOREVER. It's completely fallen apart, but we kept the pieces because they have sentimental value. They came in handy by covering up a desk and a bunch of other crap that had nothing to do with Harry Potter.

***

The main event of the party was a city-wide scavenger hunt, where we split into teams and tried to get pictures of as many items from the books as possible. Each team had a list and different points were associated with different items. I armed myself with my camera and my team got almost all of the items on the list. Here are just a few of my favorites from the hunt (please excuse the poor photo quality - we were in a hurry).

platform 9 3/4
(Platform 9 3/4)

owl post
(Owl Post)

crown
(Rowena Ravenclaw's Lost Diadem)

the deathly hallows
(The Deathly Hallows)



Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

14 comments :

  1. LOVE the city wide scavenger hunt idea! Wish I would've known about that earlier this week when we had our party. What fun! Did you like the new movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa whoa whoa! im digging all the decorations! specially the first one with the lady asking for a "password". this is so creative. you DEF outdid yourself!

    -robots in trouble

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!!
    Kristin - I thought it was very good except a few of my favorite parts from the book that were left out. I'm such a book snob :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I love this! I wish I was invited, haha! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a cool party! my favorite though are the scavenger hunt pictures! that would have been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. super creative!!! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This party is fab! I wish I could have done something like that with my friends...I literally giggled out loud at the Fat Lady and platform 9 3/4...such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cool idea. I would love to go to something like this, or even organise it myself....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! That looks like so much fun! Love the dark mark best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I love the scavenger hunt... looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this is so cool !!! I wish I was with all my hp-addict friends here so we could do something similar.

    the scavenger hunt is such a great idea, how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that the fridge was the Three Broomsticks and that the resurrection stone was a giant rock! lol

    Also that you filled the picture frames with photos of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Mr. Feeney. Gotta love the Feeney. But you should have focused on witch-y characters! Like Samantha from Bewitched :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is GENIUS!

    May have to pinch ideas for one of our birthday parties this year! Soo good!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...