Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter Desserts

On Friday, after we all cried our eyes off during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, my friends and I hosted a Harry Potter-themed party. I spent the day preparing desserts for the event. I'm not a baker or anything - I just tried to improvise and put together some stuff that looked cool and tasted alright. Here are the treats I made along with some really awesome stuff from friends.

Rice Krispy Snitches
These are just basic Rice Krispy Treats rolled into balls. Then I took two toothpicks and stuck them into the treat on opposite sides. Then I took little strips of wax paper and taped them onto the toothpicks.

rice krispy snitches



Butterbeer Cupcakes
I was feeling really ambitious on this one, wanting to create my own recipe. But time was not on my side and I ended up just making some yellow cake cupcakes (from a box, of course) and then I mixed some butterscotch pie filling with root beer and cream soda for the frosting.

butterbeer cupcakes



Sugar Cookies
Again with the shortcuts - these cookies are from store-bought cookie dough. I just used some gel frosting to decorate them like characters and other things from the books.

harry potter cookies



Chocolate Frogs
My friend Jordan made these. She found a plastic mold online, melted chocolate and cooled them in the fridge. She even put Reese's cups into some of them.

chocolate frogs



Picture Cake
Jordan's mom made this one for us. It looks so awesome, and I have no idea how she did it. Some type of crazy baking trick, I assume. Or magic.

harry potter cakeharry potter cake



Monster Book of Monsters Cake
And this is the absolute best. Jordan's aunt spent hours creating this amazing cake. It's chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, a starburst tongue, jawbreaker eyes, and a licorice nose. I was beyond impressed.

monster book of monsters cake

monster book of monsters cake

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

15 comments :

  1. these are SUPER fun! thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this is all so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thats all amazing! I wish I was at your viewing party!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE! Such great ideas and it looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh! these are amazing! that monster book of monsters cake is awesome, and i so want chocolate frogs! :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh.my.gosh.

    that monster cake is amazing! that must taken so much effort!! and that snitches idea is too cute! and so easy to make!!!

    you really are a HP nut! love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The monster cake and chocolate frogs are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, that must have been the funnest Harry Potter party ever!! That Monster Book of Monsters cake is amazing- she should submit it to a contest or something! I sure there is a contest for that sort of thing. Wow. I am amazed. Everything looks really yummy, and I love the creativity with those golden snitches- I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOWWWWW! That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How awesome! I can't go until this weekend. I don't think I'm prepared for it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that monster book! Not to be a TOTAL nerd, but have you seen these??
    Potter Puppet Pals cookies: http://www.diamondsfordessert.com/2010/02/potter-puppet-pals_12.html
    Sorting Hat pita bread: http://www.diamondsfordessert.com/2010/01/sorting-hat.html
    More HP treats: http://www.diamondsfordessert.com/2010/01/harry-potter-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say, that Monster Book has left me speechless! WOW! Looks like a super fun party :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it all looks so great! Especially the Monster book of Monsters cake! Were your butterbeer cupcakes good?

    ReplyDelete
  14. They were decent. They mostly just tasted like yellow cake with some gooey butterscotch on top, haha. At least I didn't totally ruin them :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...