Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fancy Up Your T-Shirts: Scrap Flowers

This is the first in a new series of posts I'm trying out: fancy up your t-shirts, where I take some old boring shirts and try to make them un-boring. I previously shared this tutorial on the Scattergirls blog. Enjoy!

The basic gist of this tutorial is that we'll take two t-shirts, cut off a little around the collar and make scrap flowers in different colors. You can keep it all one color if you'd like, but I think this is just a little more fancy I think. The starting points:

tshirttshirt

Now you need to measure out how much you want to cut off the collar (up to you), turn the t-shirt inside out and use a highlighter or other light/washable writing utensil to mark where you'll make your cut.

tshirt diy

Begin rolling the leftover scraps from the collar around itself, as shown. You should have enough scraps for about three flowers.

tshirt rosette

Stitch your flowers together and onto the collar area, off to the side.

tshirt diy
tshirt diy

The finished products:

tshirt diytshirt diy

Voila! Enjoy your pretty, non-boring t-shirts!

Keep up with new posts: RSS // Bloglovin // Twitter

16 comments :

  1. thats such a cute idea! i like the look of the scoop neck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, very cute! I dig those colors, too :) Did you find where you cut the collar to be flimsy and frayed? That's normally the issue I have with cutting shirts... I don't know if there's a way to prevent it!
    Best,
    Danielle
    loveandlookpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw some shirts like these on clearance at Wal-mart! I know what I'm making soon! This is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have any problems with fraying with these particular shirts, but I have in the past. I know it depends on the material. Also, just making sure your cuts are clean and not jagged is a huge help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww, this is soooo cute! thank you so much for sharing this idea. :]

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cuuuuute! I've been meaning to have a wardrobe hacking party all month, thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are SO cute!!! Love 'em. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW great idea I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. seems simple enough! this is a great idea, and a sweet way to turn boring shirts into awesome shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the CUTEST idea ever!! I will really need to try this soon. Thnks so much for sharing!
    Also wanted to let you know that I am current;y hosting a giveaway! Feel free to stop by and check it out! :)
    http://mizzentice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute and original idea, they came out very nice!

    Kaylee Nicole
    xo

    http://bonnielovescake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fabric flower shirt! So cute! I make some too, but just from fabric scraps! OOH!!! I gotta try this one! Thanks for the idea.
    P.S. thanks for joining my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...