Monday, June 20, 2011

A Night at the Speakeasy

Last weekend I attended my local historical musuem's annual Spring Speakeasy, an event where everyone dresses up in their favorite 1920's attire, drinks "illegal" beer and dances the Charleston. I've always loved the culture of this time period, so this is one of my absolute favorite local events. (I've blogged about it before too). Here are some of my many photos from the evening:



There were hobby horse races, and people placed bets on the horses they wanted to win. 


photo via


This is the Temperance League, who gave a speech about the evils of alcohol (to lots of "boo"s from the crowd)




Inside, you could listen to live music, and the cops even came and re-enacted a raid!

My dad, the bartender, serving "ginger ale"

The event is seriously amazing. There was even a fashion show, costume contest, and old Charlie Chaplin movies projected onto the side of one of the houses. One of the best parts though, I must admit, is getting really dressed up and doing my hair. Here's a close up (sorry for the crappy photobooth shot).


And this is the aftermath of that hairstyle: 


Outfit Details:
Dress: Vintage // Red Lipstick Threads
Tights: Target
Shoes: Payless
Earrings: F21
Necklace and bracelets: Thrifted
Hairpin: DIY

Hope you're all having a great week!  **Linking up with The Pleated Poppy for WIWW

21 comments :

  1. That's so neat! I love when towns have events like this. It creates community : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That so cool! Looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked super cute! Love the dress and hair!

    I wish we had events like that around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I wish we had events like that, too... I guess our closest thing would be the Pirate Invasion (Beaufort, NC)... where everyone dresses like Pirates and wenches for a good ol' time of pillaging and whatnot, haha. :-) You looked very pretty in your 20's inspired outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! I'm jealous we don't have an event like this. You looked beautiful, loved the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOLY WOW!!! How very, very awesome. I wish we had something similar here!!!

    Also, you look so fantastic in the 1920s clothing and hair style. You should dress like that everyday! :P It really does fit you. And I LOVE the after math of your updo. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This looks like sooooo much fun! I'm going to have to get with our local museums and down town and see if it'd be possible here. looks soooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I found your blog while blog hopping and I love it! You have such a fun blog! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like a blast!! What fun

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! So...this is like my dream event!! I would love to go to a 20's style bash. WOWZA! The style of that decade is, by far, my favorite.

    YOU are beautiful! EEEEP! And so is your lovely blog!! I am so glad I stumbled across it and I can NOT wait to read more & more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, I'm so jealous!! That event looks amazing!! I really love that era, ever since watching "Boardwalk Empire" I've been wanting to go to a 20's party :) You looked stunning as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like loads of fun! Being also a lover of the roaring 20's, it's something I'd certainly like to go explore sometime: need to do some research first to locate as I'm not sure Canada has such things...

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW this looks like it was very fun and I really liked your dress, you looked very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg! How fun! I would love love love to attend something like that. I've often said that I would have bee a flapper or some chick hanging off the side of a gangster's car... FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How Fun! You look so pretty! Have you seen Midnight in Paris yet... I think you'd love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun themd party! love!!
    LIB
    http://bit.ly/lhTBbc

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun event! Your hair looks super hot in the after shot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey,
    I found your blog through Freckled Nest - and I totally love it!
    This event looks like so much fun (:
    I love being able to dress-up for events too, especially when they are themed, and you looked gorgeous.

    Definitely a new follower (:

    xo.
    kristine
    shesadandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so cool! I would love to dress up in '20s attire. It looks very "The Great Gatsby" So cute

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is this Greenfield Village?! How did I miss this.
    <3 leigh

    ReplyDelete
  21. this whole thing looks amazing! so creative and so much fun. the costumes are wonderful.

    xoxo
    http://tinylittlehappies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...