Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An Outfit: Who decided jeans are so comfortable?

If you visit this blog regularly, you've probably noticed that I wear a lot of dresses. This isn't just for show (no, I don't dress up for outfit photos and then change back into sweatpants). I really honestly wear dresses almost every day. This leads to a lot of questions from denim-wearing friends: "isn't that uncomfortable?" "how do you have enough time to get ready every day?" and my favorite: "why are you so dressed up?"

And here are my answers, in case you were wondering:

  • Dresses aren't uncomfortable if you wear the right kind. I don't put on an evening gown just to take out the garbage. The dresses I wear are mostly cotton, airy, and stretchy. What's more comfortable than that? During the winter, I obviously have to wear a lot of leggings and tights, which are also stretchy and more comfortable than jeans (in my opinion). I get lots of complaints about tights and nylons, but I think if they bother you then you're probably not wearing the right kind. Try a larger size or a different brand. I've had really good luck with plain old Target brand tights. Jeans, on the other hand, are bulky and annoying. If you like them, cool, but I spent about 20 years of my life in them and I can say without a doubt that my current wardrobe is far more comfortable (for me, anyway).
  • Putting on a dress doesn't take any extra time. It can actually save time because it's one garment that covers the top and the bottom. There's not some kind of obstacle course I have to make it through just to put on a dress. It's a pretty simple process. "Jeans just go with everything," is another one I hear a lot - but my dress is a dress so it goes with itself. ZING.
  • And I am so "dressed up" because I feel like it. Everyone thinks that since I work at home I should just wear sweatpants 24/7. Yeah, that was cool for about one week, then when the overwhelming sense of personal slobbery brought on by excessive use of sweatpants overtakes you, you'll understand why I get so "dressed up."



Details:
Dress, leggings: F21
Shirt: thrifted
Shoes: UO
Earrings: Renegade Chicago (can't remember the seller)

Linking up with The Pleated Poppy's WIWW. What are some of your favorite wardrobe staples??

33 comments :

  1. Hear, hear! I agree with every single point of the above and I wear dresses just as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dresses! I am so much more of a denim girl and I live in my denim - however, I want to start wearing more dresses. I agree they are soft and comfy and well, they look amazing!

    I just need to find a dress or two that compliments my bad spot - my hips. ;) A lot of dresses I've had make them look so.much.bigger. But oh well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! A co-worker and I were actually kind of frustrated with pants because we couldn't find inexpensive ones that fit our body types.
    "my dress is a dress so it goes with itself." So true! And I find that people always compliment me more when I wear dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah, dresses are fabulous! I have approximately a zillion and one, and I'm super excited that the weather is perfect for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the pop of plaid in this outfit - sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! You made me laugh with this post. Very valid reasons, all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Jeans bother me. I'm much more comfy in a dress and cozy cotton tights. Your outfit's cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I wear dresses almost every day too. I get all the same comments. I used to get so confused when people would ask me why I'm so dressed up. I wear dresses because I'm lazy and don't want to fuss with a multi-piece outfit.
    But really dresses are necessary in Phoenix. I nearly overheat even in shorts with the lack of updraft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have inspired me to try dresses more often now that we finally have a little warmer weather! Thanks for the spark!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a dress wearer because I grew up having to wear them but my husband has asked me to give them a whirl. So I've decided to challenge myself to wear a dress once a week starting next month. Your reasoning just adds to my resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dresses rock! I don't wear them enough! come on warmer weather! I'm such a cold weather whimp :( N. Michigan. . . freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your wardrobe!Theres no reason why you cant wear dresses. Everybody else just looks the same as one another and you stand out. I love dresses and look forward to warmer weather to dig my spring ones out:)
    xo,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I 100% agree with you!!! I love love love dresses! They are so much simpler to just throw on jeans. You don't have to find a tee and that perfect pair of pants that ONLY go with that top {said pair of jeans that may or may not be clean}. With a dress it's just:: dress, shoes, jewelry/cardigan optional. I love it!! and I love your style!! You are so classy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE it! I do wear jeans a lot but I also love dresses...especially cotton, light weight comfy dresses!!!
    (of course, I wore none this past week...ha!)

    Great post!

    paige

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amen! Dresses are far more comfortable than jeans! I get home from work in the summer and change right into some kind of stretch cotton breezey dress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i totally agree! i LOVE wearing dresses!! they are so comfy! my jeans are pretty tight.. so def not as comfy ahha!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agreed. Dresses are way easier. Just one piece. And comfortable too. And cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, girl, I looooove me some jeans. Especially really worn, broken in ones. But I don't hate on dresses. They're CUTE on you and I occasionally like to wear them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i do love me some dresses. much more comfortable than jeans, BUT i never find the right casual dresses for my figure. need help!

    your style is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love all your cute little dresses! where do you buy all your cute little leggings? I want to rock more leggings with my dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how feminine I feel when I'm wearing a dress! Sure, I love my jeans, but there's just a little pep in my step when I'm in a dress. : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the dress combination!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love wearing casual dresses, but Im a jean junkie unfortunately - the shoes you have on, i need them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute! And I agree with you about dresses...way more comfy than jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your dress. I need to get a few more. H&m has some that I love and need to stock up on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OHHHH, I so love this post , you have no idea!! I use to 'live' in jeans too but slowly it dawned on me that leggings and skirts or dresses are so much more comfy! My college age daughter is who started me on it, because she wears a dress everyday never denim and on campus everyone else wears sweats or pj pants and she gets it all the time, why is she so dressed up!!! I started following her idea that a dress was more comfy and she and YOU are so right!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm right there with you. I love dresses and wear them all the time. You are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes! You are SO right! I've been collecting comfy dresses over the years and I'm with ya. And yes, people always think I'm dressed up - I'm NOT!

    You're stylish AND funny. "but my dress is a dress so it goes with itself. ZING." <---FUNNY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Girlfriend, I'm totally with you. One of my friends was like, gosh, you always dress up. To me, put on a dress and you have an instant outfit. You don't have to match up pants & top ... and it's WAY more comfy :-) Loving your mary janes too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. YESS! dresses are the best, I wear dresses to work most days and people always comment on it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm with you! I love dresses, especially in the summer. I find them easier to wear and they are cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Adorable outfit! I'm with you! I wear skirts or dresses ALL during warm weather. Rarely will you catch me in jeans or pants during the summer. It's easy, comfy and cooler to toss on a skirt. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...