Monday, March 21, 2011

Take Your Blogger to Work Day!

The wonderful Gina of Hiya Luv had this amazing idea for a blog party of sorts... Take Your Blogger to Work Day, where all of us bloggers can "get together" and share what it is we do for a living (and were blogging may fit into that mix).




My "job" is not a traditional one. I have what my parents like to call "a pieced-together career." I don't have one 9-5 job, but rather a bunch of little things: contracts, freelance gigs, temporary jobs, part-time work-from-home jobs, and my very own business. When people ask what I do or where I work, I usually say I'm a freelancer or a writer, but it's really hard to fit everything I do under one title like that. I think I need to come up with something really unique and crazy. Any ideas?


This wasn't my original intent for my life. When I was a little girl I wanted to be an artist, which basically meant I wanted to be a painter/photographer/fashion designer/screenwriter/novelist/anything else creative. Except for one year (right after Jurassic Park came out) when I wanted to be a Paleontologist. When I think about it now, I actually use a lot of different creative skills in my work, so it's pretty much perfect, but it's still something I sort of fell into.

I graduated from college a little over a year ago and had every intention of joining the ranks of the 9-5ers. My degree is in journalism and marketing, and I spent quite awhile job hunting, interning, working temporary jobs, and finding out what didn't work for me. What I didn't realize is that I was actually finding out what did work for me.


I love absolutely every part about my job right now. Sure, I have off days, but I would not change it for anything. It's untraditional, flexible, creative, fun, and so perfect for me. Here's a run-down of some of my regular gigs (in no particular order):

  • Running this blog
  • Running my Etsy shop
  • Blog design
  • Writing business profile stories for a local newspaper
  • Writing ads and special sections for newspapers
  • Teaching a knitting class at a local middle school
  • Freelancing for various blogs (usually in the design/tech field)

I have a mile-long to-do list every single day, but I usually get to make my own schedule and I have the satisfaction of being my own boss. I knew it was perfect for me when I realized I actually look forward to Mondays now!

In the future, I'd like to continue doing this "job," but I'd like it to evolve. Right now, I have some contracts that I don't necessarily enjoy, but they give me a better income than the things I do. It's not that any of my tasks are bad or difficult, but one day I'd like to be stable enough from Etsy, my blog, and blog designing to be a little more picky about the extra contracts I take on.

Tomorrow, I'm sharing a "photo an hour" post, where I document what my typical day is like through photos. So if you're curious about how a work-from-home writer/designer/freelancer spends her day, come back and see!

Thanks everyone, for letting me share this with you, and thanks so much to Gina for putting this together!! You're fantastic!

9 comments :

  1. Wow your a busy lady. And boy do I wish I learned how to knit when my Grandmother was alive. She made sweaters with matching mittens for me when I was young. She was also a sewer and could create or alter anything. I guess that's where my crafty side came from. Your hats are darling!!

    Nontraditional flexible is good!!

    ~Chrissy
    I joined the hop too I'm #1 "My Toy Store" on Gina's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nontraditional sounds glorious to meeeeee!!! can we trade? :)gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this - i totally related with you since it is also my current job :)

    looking forward to your posts of a picture per hr. that'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my dream job, ish.

    I wish my job had ANYTHING to do with being creative, but it really doesn't.

    Hopefully in the future though.


    And I'm excited for your photo per hour post. I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you have a fun job/jobs!! I'd love to have that kind of flexibility in a day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a lot of fun! I bet no 2 days are ever the same. I also love that you teach knitting! I just took a class for the first time and I'm in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a pieced together job myself...I told people I was Jana of all Trades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I wish I could help you out with a job title but all your jobs sound like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one busy gal but you also sounds like one happy gal who knows exactly what you want. You are such a role model to those of us who want what we love to be our "9-5"

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...