Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How to Get Out of a Creative Slump

To be completely honest, trying to pin down "what inspires me" is tough. It's not that I'm uninspired. In fact, I get inspired rather easily - I'm almost always inspired by something. But every once in awhile, I do get that "blah" feeling where the creativity is just not happening. Of course, it always happens at a really inconvenient time. But I have a few things I usually do when this happens, so I thought I'd share them with you in the hopes it might help you the next time you're feeling uninspired or "blah."

source unknown
If you know where this image is from, let me know.

  • take a walk
  • browse through my fabric, yarn, and other craft supplies
  • read blogs
  • search flickr or tumblr for photography or design projects
  • do some online "window" shopping on etsy, anthropologie, or modcloth
  • head to a craft store and have a look around
  • clean my workspace
  • watch a movie
  • read Real Simple, ReadyMade, or Bust Magazine
  • look through old family photos
  • start writing in stream of consciousness (rambling with no point or direction)
  • go thrifting
What do you do when you're feeling unmotivated and uninspired? 

5 comments :

  1. When I feel uninspired, then I am really uninspired and cannot come up with a solution, sadly, so I tend to just wait until something triggers something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading blogs has become a HUGE inspiration. I find myself doing so much more since I started blogging and I am SO grateful for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do usually go read blogs, or thrift shop, or head to the library. the library always has books on how to do something new, or books of art to browse. (and it's cheaper than my 'getting inspired' at a craft store, which usually means buying a bunch of stuff that i often don't end up using...*guilty face)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this list of ideas. I turn to books. Or lately I have been checking out my favorite fabric websites-however the trouble is if an idea sparks then I have to wait to get the fabric. :)gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leaving the house if just to get a cuppa java usually helps!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...