Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DIY Soy Candles

This week I made my first attempt at making soy candles. They actually turned out a lot better than I thought and it was surprisingly easy! All you need to do is pick up a few supplies from your local craft store and do some mixing.


I don't want to give you specific measurements to use, because I'm sure that different brands of soy/dye/fragrance recommend different amounts. I just used one pound of soy wax and melted it in a measuring cup. Then I mixed in a tiny bit of dye (yellow, of course) and fragrance (cinnamon buns mixed with a little bit of vanilla).




I made one candle in a clear, vintage teacup, and I had enough leftover to make two little tea-light candles. It took a little while for them to dry, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. This is definitely something I'll try again!


Have any of you ever tried candle-making?

9 comments :

  1. girl! you are always up to something crafty!! you never cease to amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long, long ago in a land far far away I used to make candles, but they were WAY messier. We melted the wax on the stove top double-boiler style in big coffee cans and then dipped long taper candles. Once the wax level was to low for dipping then we poured the remainder in molds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I've always wanted to make candles! I love that it's in a teacup it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to make my own candles! Never knew it was this easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks so awesome! I would love to try candle making!
    love the cup you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is so cool! you are so creative in all ways!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh sounds awesome! I'll have to try it out one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative! The teacup is a great way to make the candle unique. I featured you today on my gift ideas roundup as part of my Christmas In July series :)

    http://sunshineandchaucer.blogspot.com/2011/07/christmas-gift-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them! Did you melt the wax in the microwave, or did you use the measuring cup as a double-boiler?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...