Monday, December 13, 2010

Confession Time

I have a confession to make... I don't know how to read knitting patterns.

Yes, I have been knitting since middle school. Yes, I do it all the time. Yes, I can make lots of different things with yarn. But no, I have absolutely no idea how to read a pattern. I always just taught myself how to make things through trial and error. Every time I tried to read a pattern, I just gave up because it didn't make sense to me and I thought it would be easier to just teach myself how to make it.


But that is all about to change. Starting January 1 I am committing myself to learning how to read (and write) knitting patterns. It is my New Year's Resolution. So that's why I'm writing this here - so I will stick to it.

I joined Ravelry so I can browse projects and patterns with other knitters. Add me as a friend, if you'd like. And if anyone has any suggestions of cool pattern books, websites, or tips about knitting/crocheting patterns, I'd love to hear them!

5 comments :

  1. good for you! you can do it luv;)
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a great link for learning to read patterns. It gives the abbreviations plus an explanation and a video to show what they mean. Good luck!

    http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I'm checking out that link now, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the invite I just joined and will build my profile a little later. I am just about to embark on a babette blanket in crochet, so joining this forum will be of great help. Thats a great resolution to have for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a good website: http://www.readknittingpatterns.com

    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...