Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010: The year in Review

I've seen and heard a lot of complaining about how 2010 was a terrible year for a lot of people. I'm sorry to hear that, but it was actually pretty good for me, though it had some rough spots. So I thought I should write down some of the high and low points so that I can remember what made this year so good (and so bad) when I look back at this toward the end of 2011.



At the very beginning of 2010, I was a brand new college graduate who had just moved from Chicago to Detroit. I had a BA in Journalism and Marketing, a new "big girl" job and so much to look forward to. After I started my job, I immediately realized that it was not the job I was promised, and that I was wasting 2 hours of my day on a commute and 8 hours of my day on a job that I could not do and where I was making hardly any money. I began freelancing to support myself while I looked for a new job.

This job hunt took a looooong time. I held an internship at a Congressional office, a job "enumerating" for the Census, and a campaign job for the U.S. Congressman for whom I interned. Though all of these jobs were temporary, I learned a lot through the process. I had saved up some money and decided that I wanted to freelance/start my own business full-time.

I now have a few regular freelance gigs that give me steady income while I search for new ones and work on my real passion: making things. I started selling on Etsy at the end of 2009, but had to take a few breaks throughout the year for work reasons. I also started this blog in 2010 and it's played a huge role in my self-realization and all that crap. I have done a whole lot of business planning since I decided to make this leap a couple of months ago. And when I launch my new site in February 2011, I believe it will all be worth it.

Some random things I did in 2010 that were cool: went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, launched Words and Tricks, got a job teaching knitting at a local middle school (though I haven't started yet), FINALLY finished reading Lord of the Rings, organized my craft supplies (this doesn't seem very exciting but it was a HUGE undertaking), made really cool costumes for the premieres of Toy Story 3 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, made it into Craftzine, the Storque, and a bunch of other awesome blogs!

So yeah, there were hard parts of this year, but I honestly believe that when I'm really old and wrinkly and I look back on my life, this will be one of those "defining" years that helped to shape my life. Well, that was my 2010 in a nutshell. How was your year? Do anything exciting?

5 comments :

  1. what a great year for your annie!! mine was pretty exciting too, but i can't wait for 2011 already hehehe!! i am soooo glad that we met this year thru blogging.. i love my fellow michiganders (oh how i miss that state)!!!

    happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like 2010 was a great year! Here's to an even better 2011!

    <3 Ashley
    www.ahastylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting year! Can't wait to see what 2011 holds for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like it was a great year for you! i agree with you - there are many ups and downs, but for me it was def. a defining year for me...so a good one overall!

    here's to 2011!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a lot of it is you are optimistic too.

    That is great you were able to save some money. Happy new years :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...