Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hedwig Wings

Tonight, young muggles everywhere will be dressing in costume to see the new Harry Potter movie at midnight. Yes, I am one of those people. Who am I dressing as? Well, Hedwig the owl, of course.

Everyone seems to be very curious as to how I'm going to pull it off, so I'm going to keep you in suspense for a little bit longer. BUT I will show you a peek at one of my essential costume elements - the wings.



What you need:

  • felt (white and gray)
  • 2 large pieces of soft foam board (should be slightly longer than the distance between your shoulder and your elbow)
  • hot glue
  • elastic bands
  • stapler
  • scissors



Cut the two pieces of foam board into teardrop shapes.


Begin cutting the felt into smaller teardrop shapes (the size is up to you, but the smaller the pieces the longer the project will take). Glue the pieces felt onto the foam board starting at the bottom point. As you move up the foam board, the felt pieces should layer over one another so it looks like small feathers.



Disperse a few gray pieces in with the white (ratio should be about 85/15ish) and continue up the whole board. Allow the glue to dry and then flip it over. Cut two pieces of elastic to fit around your upper arms and staple them toward the top of the board. Do the same for your elbows and staple those toward the bottom. I also used a little bit of hot glue around the staples for extra security.



Now you're ready to take flight and deliver some letters! I can't wait to show you the rest of my costume! Stay tuned!

1 comment :

  1. that is too fun!!! im so excited - i'm going this weekend!! no costume for me - but my fiance and i are planning on sporting some HP glasses!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...