Friday, October 8, 2010

Basket Liner Tutorial with June Vintage

This guest post is brought to you by the awesome Heather of June{vintage}. It's an adorable crafty tutorial using vintage materials, so I'm sure you'll all love it. Be sure to visit the June{vintage} blog and shop while you're working on your very own basket liner!

***

Hello! I'm Heather from June{vintage} and I'm excited to share with you an easy little whip-up that features two of my favorite things: vintage linens and a little sewing. Head to your favorite thrift store and pick up the necessities (you may need to swing by a craft or fabric store, too) and make this little cutie in the time it takes to watch a Law and Order re-run.

 

Step 1: gather items for project...
  • pillow case of your choosing
  • square basket {note: pick a basket that is about half the size- top to bottom- of the pillowcase}
  • package of 8 grommets {you will need a grommet tool-I use the cheaper, manual version}
  • ribbon {or use twine, rope or yarn-whatever fits your fancy!}
  • Note: you will need a sewing machine, scissors and something to use to measure-measuring tape, ruler, etc.

Step 2: measure the width of your basket across the bottom or, if you have measuring tape, measure the inside and add 1/2 inch to your measurement.{If you are using a truly square basket, the width will be the same from back to front and side to side}


Step 3: cut closed end off of pillow case...


Cut 4: Cut 2 strips of the pillowcase {working from the end that you cut the closed end off} that are the width your determined in step 2. You will now have two "loops" of fabric-open on the long sides but closed on the short sides.


Step 5: Locate the short side of the pillow case that is NOT sewn and cut this short side open.


Step 6: Fold right sides together, sew 3 open sides together {leaving a small hole open}, turn and top stitch.  {A top stitch is just a finishing run around the outside of the piece to make it look finished-it is not necessary...if you are short on time, just press the pieces with an iron and move on.}


Step 7: Place pieces in basket {criss-crossing them like a t}, lining up corners and mark where you want to put the grommets.


Step 8: Insert grommets as per the directions. {Typically, this is cutting out grommet hole, insert grommet, and hammer grommet back to secure.}


Step 9: Tie ribbon in grommet holes to secure.


Step 10: Load basket up with whatever needs keeping and enjoy!


Hopefully, each step was understandable and you are able to whip up a little basket liner for yourself! {Please send me a little note if you have any questions or if you make one of these yourself!} Find me over at my blog or email me at junevintage {at} gmail {dot} com.

3 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh I love this tutorial. What an awesome idea to give a personal touch to something. Thanks for the tutorial.

    http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! I wish I could sew; I'd make one of these to match the bedding in my boys' room for their toy basket :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, guys! I am glad you enjoyed it!

    Janna-I would love to teach 'ya if you lived closer!

    Sarah-your outfits are SO cute! Love your style showin' on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...