Monday, August 16, 2010

My 3-Day Walk Experience

This past weekend I took part in an event that honestly changed my life. Many of you have probably heard of the Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure, a series of events throughout the country that aim to end breast cancer. I have thought about participating for a few years now, and this year I finally took the plunge. It was an extremely emotional and uplifting experience.  It helped to remind me that the majority of people in this world are, in fact, very good. I won't ever forget it for as long as I live.







{the details}
The walk was 60 miles over 3 days. We began early on Friday morning and finished on Sunday afternoon. We walked through several cities in Metro Detroit, saw some beautiful neighborhoods, and some even more beautiful people.  Throughout the walk, people of all ages, sexes and backgrounds gathered to cheer us on, bring us water and other goodies, and thank us for what we were doing.  It was so amazing to see so many people supporting the same cause.  It really reminds you how many lives are affected by breast cancer, and how many people care enough to work toward putting an end to it.  There were 1,900 of us who walked, and even more who volunteered and supported us.







{why I walked}


This is my mom. Three years ago, she was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer. This means that it was caught early enough to be treated without chemo or radiation. Because of a strong family history of breast cancer (my grandma and great grandma both also had it), she made sure to get checked frequently, and it paid off. She has made it through 3 years of treatment, and if she makes it through 2 more, her chances of remaining free of invasive breast cancer is very high. It is my hope that by taking part in this event, more people will learn that early detection can save lives, and more families will celebrate their loved ones as survivors rather than victims.





{a note about my hometown}
Some people think that Detroit is a dead city, that its best days are behind it.  I can't disagree more. Sure, we're in a huge rough patch right now, but there's so much more to this region than abandoned buildings and a few auto plants. It's the people who really make a community great, and this weekend I witnessed just how great the people of this area are.  We are extremely dedicated, hard-working, and selfless, and we won't give up without a fight.


3 comments :

  1. My 3 day experience was the best of my life. I hope you continue to walk in years to come! CONGRATULATIONS WALKER!! You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is amazing! Looks like you had a blast! Plus, it was for a really good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!! Looks fun too. I loved the picture of all the pink tents. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...