Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pin It Forward: What Home Means To Me

When sfgirlbybay presented the challenge of creating a post about "what home means to me," as part of the blogger mashup Pin It Forward, I though it would be simple enough. After all, I feel like I have a pretty strong grasp of what makes a home to me. I guess I had no clue how difficult it would be to put this idea into words and pictures. After lots of reflection, I feel like I've successfully expressed my thoughts.



Now, I'm going to get all Mary-Katherine Gallagher for a second, and use a movie quote to begin to tell you what home is in my world. This quote is from Garden State (2004).

"You know that point in your life when you realize the house you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of a sudden even though you have some place where you put your shit, that idea of home is gone." -Andrew
"I still feel at home in my house." -Sam
"You'll see one day when you move out it just sort of happens one day and it's gone. You feel like you can never get it back. It's like you feel homesick for a place that doesn't even exist. Maybe it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't ever have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I don't know, but I miss the idea of it, you know. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people that miss the same imaginary place." -Andrew


It seems kind of depressing, but I think it's a part of growing up to create your own version of home that's different than your childhood home, but still with some of the same comfort elements that remind you of your parents' place.

As a 22-year-old fresh out of art school, scrambling to make enough freelance income to pay my credit card bills while trying to keep my artist soul intact, I'm feel like I'm in the middle of this transition period Andrew Largeman talks about in Garden State. I don't feel depressed about it though. I love my childhood home and I absolutely wouldn't change a thing. I look forward to all the changes that will take place in my life over the next several years and I can't wait to build my own home wherever that might be.

So my pinboard represents transition - keeping some elements of childhood comfort, with a bit of independence shining through. My "home" at the moment is a completely clean slate where anything is possible. And I believe with all my heart that home is really a state of mind, and that the people and values you surround yourself with are far more important than walls, decorations and furniture.


My childhood was full of bright colors, fun toys, and lots and lots of books. Everything was cute and flashy and fun. 



Right now my home is a mix of things. My space is pretty much overrun with half-finished craft projects, and lots of inspirational images on my walls. I also spent the last 4 years traveling back and forth between my parents' home and my apartment in Chicago. However, home is (and really has always been) Detroit, so that photo is very important to me.


I'm not sure what my future home will be, but I know I want to keep a lot of the same aspects of my home now and my childhood home. I love bright colors and quirky designs. I do, however, want more "grown up" elements like a backyard patio and an island in the kitchen. 



A few notes about Pin It Forward: I've found Pinterest to be an insanely useful tool, not only for this project but for use in the future as well. It's a super easy and organized system to keep track of fun internet finds. I'm so happy I got to be a part of this group. Now I pass the torch onto Miss Passionista, who will share her very own thoughts on home.

9 comments :

  1. Hey Anna, thanks a ton for putting so much thought and care into your pin-it-forward entry. Your pinboard is a lot of fun, and I think lots of us can relate to moving from the home you grew up in to the home you build for yourself.

    Thanks for contributing to pin-it-forward and for giving pinterest a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, such a sweet post! So touching! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely post, annie, and i love the garden state reference - one of my favorite films. inspiring images as well! thanks for contributing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Annie - so much thought!
    I love the colors in your boards - multi colored fabrics and blue walls - you tied them together from childhood to now so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a fun post! you did a great job and I love it. I am going through a transition right now. I was just offered a job and for the first time this job will require that I no longer live on campus!! I have always had a job that provided me housing-I have worked professionally in Residence Life which provided on-campus housing and now that I have been offered a promotion, I can now (excitedly but also hesitantly) move off campus and into my fiance's house. However, I now feel that I am losing my independence. Although my apartment no longer and hasn't for some time felt like home, in fact my fiance's place is where I call home; the fact that I am going to give up my apartment (and my control/independence symbolically) is really scary....so the timing of this post was really great. It will be interesting to see how my fiance and I transition and infuse my taste with his and how I fit all of my stuff in with his stuff.

    smiles,
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,I love this....after a bit of transition from a place that felt like my home after my parents, I think that home feeling is something I'm searching for so this struck a real chord!
    And love the quote.xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving all these pin it forward posts. Your sources of inspiration are just beautiful!

    p.s. Thank you so much for following BonBon Rose Girls! I hope you'll follow us at our new site...we went and got our own .com at: http://www.bonbonrosegirls.com/ Plus, we're hosting lots of fabulous giveaways this month to celebrate our move...Right now we've got two $95 hapari swimsuit gift certificates up for grabs! Hugs, K

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've noticed houses and work places shrink once you've left them and come back. Perhaps they haven't become smaller -- I've just grown. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post Annie! It's nice to know more about you. Good luck with the move to your fiance's apartment!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...