Monday, May 24, 2010

A Few SHORT Thoughts About Lost

I know you're all probably sick of hearing about the finale of Lost by now, and I can't say I really blame you. However, this is the internet, and people post tons of crap that the rest of the world doesn't care about all the time, and this is my blog so I am going to do that now. This is mostly for my own benefit anyway - a way to organize my thoughts about the ending of a show I loved so much.



ANYWAY... I have mixed feelings about the show's finale. The actual ending I thought was quite nice. You can't deny that Jack's eye closing was the perfect way to bring the show full circle and wrap it up on a very human level (something I think the show has been lacking for a few seasons now). And bringing all the characters together for a huge after-life reunion was also one of the high points for me. I did get fairly emotional seeing some old favorites again. Initially I felt ripped off that the flash-sideways (actually flash-forwards) were not what they seemed. But that's Lost. I've let that part sink in a bit, and I'm actually okay with it.

Now onto the not so great things. I never expected ALL of my questions to be answered in one episode, especially since new questions were still coming up each week this season. But I really was hoping that some of the main points of the show: what was so special about the island, the light, why did the evil (nameless) MIB need to be contained, would be explained. These were things I never really cared about initially, but the show spent so much time on these issues recently, that I had to believe they were important things I would find out about later. Instead, we were forced to just deal with the fact that the show was about these characters dealing with issues that were simply bigger than them, and they would never find out the true meaning either. Maybe this will all sink in one day soon and I will be able to enjoy the final season for what it was, but for now I have to deal with the fact that my expectations were simply too high.

Overall, the show was fantastic. I never knew what was going to happen next. It made me think. It made me care about characters who, on the surface, I never would have rooted for. If you're not a Lostie, I highly recommend the show, even if you already know what happened. It changed my perspective on a lot of things, and though imperfect, it was definitely a work of art.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Annie...
    I absolutely love Lost too!
    However, here in India...we get to see he seasons way later than you guys...so there’s probably a whole era before we’d see the finale.
    Thanks for spilling some of the beans!:-)

    It’s a great, great mixture of suspense, drama, romance and the way the show keeps going in to the past and then present and linking it all together...it’s really been phenomenal...
    Keeps me totally glued to the screen!
    The only other shows that have done that are Friends, Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives!
    Though all are of separate genres!

    With Lost there was always this urge of knowing ‘Now what?’
    ‘Why this?’
    I guess the twists and turns and complexities attract us more than easy viewing at times!
    While we love watching things where we don’t have to use our brains or hearts too much...it is not always the case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Lost fan too! So I'm lost in Lost! ;D Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...