Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spruce Up Your Scarf

Okay, I know it's starting to get warmer and no one wants to think about cold weather, snow, or scarves. But the harsh reality (if you're a midwesterner like me) is that we're not necessarily done with winter yet. It never hurts to be prepared, so this week for Tutorial Tuesday, we're making a scarf.



Yes, a scarf. This one has a bit of a springy twist, at least. Anyway, I'm not going to go through the process of creating the actual scarf, but instead just give you some ideas about how to add some extra elements to make it really unique and lovely. I'm doing this for two reasons: 1) you don't really need to make the scarf yourself - you can use a store-bought scarf, fabric scarf, knit scarf, whatever. 2) I don't know how to read/write knitting or crocheting patterns. Seriously. I've been knitting since I was about 12 but I've never been able to understand a darn pattern. I always just make something up and hope for the best.

So this week's tutorial is a bit different. Instead of giving specific instructions on how to make a specific thing, I'm going to give suggestions for adding elements to your scarf to make it special. You can choose which one's you'd like to use and which ones you'd like to leave out. It's all customizable.

Supplies

  • scarf
  • yarn or fabric
  • beads
  • brooch
  • button
  • thread


Steps

  • Many scarves are long enough to be wrapped around your neck a few times or tied in front, but this scarf needs to be a lot shorter. The idea is that it will wrap around once and fasten in the front, with very little extra length past the fastener. You can measure what would be right for you, but it should be roughly 2 feet. So either knit/crochet a 2 foot scarf, or cut down an existing scarf to 2 feet.

  • Ruffles - for my scarf, I simply crocheted some ruffles around the outside in a complementary color. This can be done with either yarn or fabric, depending on what kind of scarf you have.
  • Fastener - For my scarf, I used a beaded brooch for the centerpiece of the scarf. It should be pinned about 2 to 3 inches away from one end of the scarf. It can serve as the fastener either by pinning it to both ends of the scarf when you wear it, or it can loop through the other end of the scarf (like shown) if you have a loosely crocheted scarf.
  • Beads and extra embellishments - this is where it gets really fun. There's nothing you can't do, really. I chose to crochet a little flower with the yarn I used for the ruffles. On other scarves, I have made little clusters of beads to go around the brooch for an added touch. I think a big flower looks really nice on a short scarf like this one. (Plus it adds a little touch of spring).


So that's it for the day. I hope you're all staying warm in this whole half winter/half spring weather. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...