Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Monster Hat

Hey everyone. Happy Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/Paczki Day! I prefer Mardi Gras, because I'm not a huge fan of Paczki (but I live in a small town that's 90% Polish, so don't tell anyone or I might get shunned).

Anyway, this Tuesday Tutorial has absolutely nothing to do with any of the previously mentioned holidays. It is pretty rad though, if I do say so myself.

So what are we making? A monster hat.

What you'll need:

  • a hat, any color - either knit or felted, or you could grab some yarn and knit or crochet your own (I knit my own, but it really makes no difference)
  • black felt
  • white felt
  • a needle and thread

Yep, that's it. Let's move on, shall we?

Steps:
  • cut out 5 small triangles and 2 large circles from the white felt
  • cut out 2 slightly smaller circles from the black felt

  • line up the five triangles along the bottom of the front of the hat and sew them on side by side
  • sew the two white circles onto the hat about an inch or inch and a half above the bottom rim of the hat

  • sew the black circles over the white circles
The awesome thing about this project is that it has no rules. Everyone has a different perception of what monsters look like, so you can really do anything and still pass it off as a monster. Want yours to have just one eye? Go for it. Purple teeth? That works too. And if your eyes aren't perfect circles or your teeth are all different sizes, that just makes your hat look even cooler. These instructions are for the style of monster hat that I have here, but you can absolutely disregard everything I said here and do your own thing. That's what creativity is all about, right?



I hope I provided you with some good tips and inspiration. If you have a monster hat or a different version of this project, I'd love to see it. What else have you been working on this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...