Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Felt Polaroid Picture Frame

Hello internet! Today is Tuesday and I've been racking my brain for a fun and simple tutorial to share with you all. I think I've got a good one today: a felt Polaroid picture frame.

I think this project is cool because it's not at all like a traditional picture frame. It's got a quirky, crafty feel and it can be displayed in so many ways: hanging from a clothespin on a string of ribbon, on a bulletin board (this was my choice), or it can even be pinned onto a purse or tote bag.

Here's what you'll need:
  • white felt
  • scissors
  • a ruler
  • a needle and thread (or hot glue gun if you want to make your life easier)
  • a photo

Steps:

  • First, choose your photo. I used a 4x6 landscape photo. You can use other sizes, but the measurements I have listed below will need to be modified.
  • Cut the felt using the measurements below. You'll need one whole 6 1/2" by 7 1/2" piece of felt, and then another with the photo cutout in the middle.
  • Sew (or glue) the two pieces of felt together on all sides but the top.
  • Insert your photo and have fun displaying it!


Measurements (for a 4x6 photo):

  • overall area = 6 1/2" x 7 1/2"
  • area atop the photo cutout = 1"
  • area on each side of photo cutout = 1 1/4"
  • photo cutout = 4" x 4"
  • area below photo cutout = 2 1/2"


You can modify this problem in a number of ways. If you're more into the traditional picture frame, you can make a backing and a stand out of cardboard and display it that way. You can also use some clear plastic to make a protective cover for the photo cutout. I hope some of you decide to try this project. It really is a lot of fun and doesn't take long at all.


Note: The photo I used in my frame is a postcard from Kitty Rogers Photography. So beautiful.

If you have any suggestions for an upcoming project, please share it with me.

Later, lovelies!

1 comment :

Leave a note! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...